Monday, December 14, 2009

Inexpensive gift idea - super cute treat dish!


(These plates are the same size even thought the pic makes the top one look bigger)

Most simple and affordable - but still cute - gift idea!

I first saw the idea on Poppies at Play a long time ago, and have been meaning to make one, but didn't have the time or reason to, until now, my sister-in-law's birthday was coming up, so I decided this would be a good idea for her. I found the two plates and the glass candlestick holder at the thrift store (the pink plates really look awesome in person, super cute and funky; in all the pictures, the orangey splotches look gross, but in person, they're really cute) Anyways, after washing the plates, all I had to do was put the top plate upside-down, I traced the top of the candlestick holder with washable marker, just so I knew where to put the glue, and following the instructions on the E6000 (strongest glue known to man!), I glued the candlestick holder upsidedown onto the bottom of the top plate.





After about an hour, I put glue on the bottom of the candlestick holder and the center of the bottom plate, and flipped it right side up, gluing them together.

(the bottom of the candlestick holder just happened to fit perfectly in that little circle on the middle of the plate!)


Now that it was all together, I used a heavy can of wheat to weigh it down while it dried. It takes between 24 and 72 hours for the glue to fully cure, so I let it dry fully before giving it away.



I think it turned out so cute, I am going to make one for myself! This was probably the most inexpensive, simple, quick... yet... cute, useful, fun gift idea ever! And there's so many possibilities because you can do so many different colors and sizes too, depending on what dishes you find. And because you can make it yourself, it's more thoughtful that way. Great Christmas gift if you're running out of time before the big day next week!


I really shouldn't say how inexpensive it was to make because then my sis-in-law will think I'm a cheapo.. ha ha It's really not about how much I spent, (I would've spent more.. but when you can make something this cute without spending more, why would you?) So for the good of everyone who needs an inexpensive gift idea, I'll share. Not including the glue, I spent a total of $1.50 on this gift! NO KIDDING! Each plate and the candlestick holder were .50 ea at the thrift store. Yeah, a treat dish like this would've been at least $20 at the stores. Can't beat that! I LOVE IT!
Today, I am linked up with none other than Poppies at Play Creative Cats Friday! Go check out the other awesome ideas today!

I'm also linked with Met Monday at BNOTP!

7 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Cute idea...I like the pink plates! Happy holidays

Unknown said...

I just posted one of these last week. Don't you just love this idea? I am giving homemade truffles to teachers and bus drivers on these platters for gifts this year. Come visit me & see what I've created this week. Be sure to leave a comment!

One Cheap B*tch said...

So sweet!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is really nice! Great idea for a gift, but I'd even like one for myself!

Connie said...

Such a cute idea and I love the plates you chose.

Andy Porter said...

Those plates rock! Great find!! And what a cool candlestick!?! I've never seen one like that. She's gonna love it!! Thanks for the link! I hope you are your cute fam have a wonderful Christmas!!

Kristi Flanagan said...

I've always wanted to try one one of these - your's turned out so sweet! Love it!

Kristi
Punkinseedproductions.blogspot.com